Sunday, July 03, 2005

Aberystwyth - Welsh National Library



I've spent a goodly chunk of my time in Aberystwyth at the Welsh National Library (a very imposing building with a stupendous view of the town and coast below), checking microfiche birth/deaths/marriages/wills indexes, filmed newspaper records and checking online census records.



To date I have not found a will disclosing the location of the fabled Williams $$hundreds, or their stash of slate jewellery. In the newspaper Y Cymru from Jan 11 1922, I found the following death notice for my gg-grandfather Ellis, indicating that he was living in the same residence (or at least tiny weeny little street) as he had 40yrs earlier:
Williams - Nos Sul [Sunday night], Ionawr 8, yn 76 mlwydd oed, Mr Ellis Williams Wnion Square, Dolgellau.
I've found index records for the birth of all but one of his 5 children, which I will have to pursue further through the registry office channels, in order to see more informative birth certificates.


Pursued another family line, this time one of the Scottish antecedents of Ellis' daughter-in-law, Beatrice Kerr. I found that her maternal grandmother, Alison Wood, was the 5th of 6 children recorded as living in Edinburgh in at the time of the 1841 census. Her father was recorded as being a male servant.




In other news, besides being missed by my old customers at the bookshop in Newtown, Bondi and I walked up Constitution Hill to the Camera Obscura there. It's the largest in the world, with a view over 1000 square miles on the biennial clear day.

Tomorrow it's booktown: Hay-on-Wye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow