Saturday, July 09, 2005

Old South Wales: Newport & Cardiff


Tiger Bay

Staying at Newport over the weekend with my mate Ian, and his two kids. Bondi's happy with a backyard to loll around in, while I'm scratching my eyes out with continued hayfever aggravation. Newport is home to "leisurewear-clad Welsh rap octet Goldie Lookin' Chain".



After a quick visit with Ian & co to the local fruit market and some chav spotting, we take the scenic route into Cardiff and visit Cardiff Bay's Mermaid Quay, which for Sydney-siders is a bit Darling Harbour-ish, with the addition of an arts centre and the nearly completed Welsh Assembly building. These sit around Plas Roald Dahl (Roald Dahl Place). Today it's host to a food and wine fair, which if I had my druthers would have been billed Meals of the Unexpected or Willy Wonka's Chorizo Factory....

The "pillow poem" in the photo below composed by Ian and myself says

"Doors shimmer and slate radiates".



Ian took me out for a tour of Cardiff nightlife, but we pretty much exhausted my interest in it by midnight. The ladies at The Golden Cross drunkenly singing Welsh folks songs (Delilah etc) in the beer garden were much appreciated.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow