Friday, August 19, 2005

Births, deaths and marriages ...and parking inspectors

Out of London by 10am and into Wigan around 1.30pm. Radio 4 had a short documentary on London parking inspectors, most of whom are college-educated West Africans unable to get suitable white-collar employment in the UK.
Four new Birth, Death and Marriage certificates awaited me: I was surprised and gratified to discover that some of the records requested from Sydney had arrived just as quickly as those from London. The details therein enabled me to put at least a name and birth-year to all of my sixteen great-great-grandparents, and added the names of two more great-great-great-grandparents: Ellis Williams (labourer) and Samuel Jones (civil engineer). I have an Australian marriage certificate where the groom's surname is Wales and the witnesses' surname is Ireland...

If I look at the nationality stats for those closest generations I have:
0: 1 x Australia (moi)
1: 2 x Australia
2: 4 x Australia
3: 7 x Australia, 1 x Wales
4: 13 x Australia, 1 x Wales, 1 x England, 1 x Sweden
5: 4 x Australia, 2 x Wales, 3 x England, 2 x Sweden (assumed), 2 x Germany, 1 x Ireland, 3 x Scotland, 15 x Unknown (probably Anglo-Irish or Australian)
I'd be interested to know how many other people could claim to have so many Australian ancestors of post-1788 stock.
Australia has the highest population proportion of foreign-born @ 23%, followed by Canada at 18% and the USA trailing at 11%. 50% of the population has at least one parent born outside Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow