Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Ely ~ Ickworth ~ Holkham







Spent the morning and lunch at Ely (pronounced Eely), visiting their very old and very splendid cathedral.




The local visitor centre is also Oliver Cromwell's house. Dropped a bundle buying books at the most excellent Topping & Co Booksellers. It's just as well I have that storage locker!



Later in the afternoon, I went off to Ickworth House, near Bury-St-Edmonds. I'm not really into the big country house thang, but I'd glimpsed a picture of some silver fish box/ornaments collected at that house. I have a small collection of them myself, begun after spotting one in New Zealand about 15yrs ago. My collection also includes enamelled silver fish.
Another collection, of ladies' fans, was also footnoted with a listing of signals from the Language of Fans e.g.

HANDS CLASPED TOGETHER HOLDING AN OPEN FAN: "Forgive me."

COVERING THE LEFT EAR WITH AN OPEN FAN: "Do not betray our secret."

SHUTTING A FULLY OPENED FAN SLOWLY: "I promise to marry you."

OPENING AND CLOSING THE FAN SEVERAL TIMES: "You are cruel"

FAN IN LEFT HAND IN FRONT OF FACE: "I am desirous of your acquaintance."

FAN HELD OVER LEFT EAR: "I wish to get rid of you."

DRAWING THE FAN ACROSS THE FOREHEAD:"You have changed."

TWIRLING THE FAN IN THE LEFT HAND: "We are being watched."

TWIRLING THE FAN IN THE RIGHT HAND:"I love another."





For a complete contrast that evening, I joined Paul and David for a picnic and skinny dip on the beach at Holkham on the Norfolk Coast. It was a perfect evening for it - water was initially bracing - but after running madly up and down the beach for a bit, with Bondi in pursuit, was quite ready to spend more time in the sea.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow