Sunday, March 19, 2006

Fais que ton rêve soit plus long que la nuit


My first tattoo: an armband with tribalized text Fais que ton rêve soit plus long que la nuit, or Make your dream outlast the night. Design commissioned from Jonathan Harris, and executed by David at Art Corpus.

The text appealed to me from the first time that I encountered it, maybe 10 years ago. It's the title of a very early and rare LP by Vangelis, adapted from a sound-collage he created during the Parisian student riots of May 1968. Fais ... is one of many slogans used by students from that time. There are several collections of these, for example here and here.

The text ties up a lot of personal matters: this wonderful extended sabbatical - being able to travel with Bondi - learning French properly after years of stops and starts (and doing so in Paris) - and of course Vangelis' music.











The experience was pretty painless for the most part, except for some of the work on the inner arm, but even that was less discomforting than some routine dental work I've had. I read about 2/3 of Malcolm Gladwell's book Blink (about the power of first impressions) during the process. It only occurred to me at the end that I'd just had my first Ink impression.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow