Friday, March 03, 2006

Mais ce n'est pas tout! J'ai encore deux autres albums de photos!


My street's weekend produce market arrived early so I picked up a few items for my school's (presumably indoor) picnic tomorrow: wine, chevre cheese, olives ... and the remnants of a prawn that a seafood vendor thought that Bondi might like. He didn't take my hint that salmon was higher up Bondi's list of comfort foods.









We walked a few blocks west to the square between the Louvre and the Palais Royale where I stopped for a late lunch of a rather delicious chickeny-eggy-orangey-nutty-leafy-salad. A gorgeous presumed-to-be-fashion-model and presumably-her-agent (both from Melbourne) sat next to me and said lovely things about Bondi and that they assumed I was under 30 and then I would have kissed them except that I would have heard a blood-curdling scream from somewhere over the horizon (probably in Powys) that would have been listed in Gleamhound's 2006 Catalog of Jealous Caterwauling. So I didn't. But I might next time. Shhhhhhhh!






We walked back through the gardens of the Palais Royal. At the northern end, a lot of youngsters were being shepherded around by mothers and nannies all of whom wanted to squeal and gurgle over the gros chien in their midst.















Here are some very useful new phrases for the traveller, along the lines of:

Yessir, you folks certainly have made a mess of this country.
Oui Monsieur, grâce à vous, c'est vraiment le bordel dans ce pays.
Sí, señor,ustedes ciertamente han cagado a este país.
Ja, mein Herr, ihr habt wirklich eine Müllhalde aus diesem Land gemacht.


... and from the same source, a primer on French comics. I bought a Valérian book yesterday at Album, since only a small percentage of these books have ever been translated into English, and I've been clinging onto my set for at least 20 years. Mézières' images have been thoroughly ripped off by George Lucas in many parts of the Star Wars franchise, and were directly used in Luc Besson's The Fifth Element.








A new consumer-oriented Tablet PC springs out of the Origami project. It's nice seeing your projects having little grandprojects.

Finished reading Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. I first encountered the Anansi story tradition when I was quite young and working my way through the myths & legends of every race or nation (as available in various small libraries in rural NSW). It seemed to have much in common with Australian aboriginal Dreamtime stories, although of course the trickster tradition is known in many cultures, notably with the Norse Loki, and the North American Coyote (and on into Brer Rabbit and even ol' Bugs Bunny). The last book I read where Anansi appeared was China Mieville's King Rat (1998). The comedic Anansi Boys has additional parallels with Mieville's darker tale - but I hate to give plot-spoilers... On the other hand, for a black comedy, it's hard to beat William Kotzwinkle's Doctor Rat or the much-later The Bear went over the Mountain. Finally, Alessando Boffa's marvellous You're an Animal, Viskovitz! takes you right out of the way of the tricksters into self-delusion.

The bunnies do the 30-second Brokeback Mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow