Thursday, March 09, 2006

Mon ascenseur est plus grand que le stylo de mon oncle, mais plus petit que le jardin de ma tante.


I think the crates that Bondi has flown in from Seattle -> Sydney -> London have a greater volume than the lift in my building. He actually has to turn his head to stand in this lift. In contrast, the crate-size mandated for international flight has enough room for a piano-bar and a jacuzzi. I think that I could probably sit in a corner of it and have more room to stretch than in a typical airline seat.

In class, we started covering the imperfect (descriptive past tense) which is pretty straightforward. One exercise involved writing a few paragraphs on our childhoods, so I was able to recount running barefoot and brown in various small Australian towns. My teacher nearly choked with laughter when she heard that I had been an altar-boy for a period. Another student mumbled something about "falling from a great height". J'ai été mortifié!

Apparently if you mention an au pair to the French, they have no idea of what you're talking about, unless you say une jeune fille au pair.

And why you won't find me in an office again any time soon: http://www.overheardintheoffice.com/archives/001544.html

Yesterday I was futzing around with my computer, trying to work out how to easily type accented characters with a UK keyboard layout. The standard UK keyboard has an AltGr (Alternate Graphic) key that allows you to type á é í ó ú € £ but that's it.

For Windows users with a US keyboard layout (which includes those in Australia) , you can toggle to a US-International layout that facilitates entering these characters and more, by allowing you to compose punctuation with letters e.g. "o to make ö. I discovered that in Windows XP SP2, Microsoft introduced a UK-Extended layout that allows you to do this more gracefully than with the US-International, so now I can also ý ñ ë ê ö à è ì ç ...
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow