Saturday, April 29, 2006

I'm in 7 minds...








I had a quick call with a Google recruiter during the week -apparently there's also a position at the new Sydney office which is right up my alley. They want to schedule me for a phone interview with one of their US-based product managers sometime in the next fortnight. Right now I'm not sure if I want to go back to Australia yet with so much more of this part of the world to survey. A job in Ireland/UK would allow me to continue that exploration for a few more years, albeit at a slower pace, if only to mitigate the grumblings of jealous immigration officials.

I'm researching an upcoming trip to Ireland - 3 or 4 weeks of walking and driving, although the balance of that depends on the timing of Bondi's shoulder operation. In the process I encountered a poem attributed to "an 82 yr old woman" but which appears to be one of several variants of a poem "I would pick more daisies" which in turn is extracted from an essay by Don Herold (who was a 64 yr old man at the time it was published):

If I had to live my life over again,
I'd dare to make more mistakes next time.
I'd relax.
I would limber up.
I would be sillier than I have been this trip.
I would take fewer things seriously.
I would take more chances.
I would take more trips.
I would climb more mountains,
swim more rivers.
I would eat more ice cream and less beans.
I would perhaps
have more actual troubles,
but I'd have fewer imaginary ones.

You see, I'm one of those people
who live seriously and sanely,
hour after hour,
day after day.
Oh, I've had my moments.
And if I had it to do over again,
I'd have more of them.
In fact, I'd try to have nothing else,
just moments,
one after another,
instead of living so many years
ahead of each day.
I've been one of those persons
who never goes anywhere
without a thermometer,
a hot water bottle,
a raincoat
and a parachute.

If I had it to do again,
I would travel lighter than I have.
If I had to live my life over,
I would start barefoot earlier in the spring
and stay that way later in the fall.
I would go to more dances.
I would ride more merry-go-rounds.

I would pick more daisies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow