Saturday, September 16, 2006

Flow morphia slow let the sun and light come streaming into my life

Breakfast again in Newtown with Phil and Michael, then some CD shopping with them in Sydney CBD. The shops here are actually so much more interesting than the CD stores in London: so much more interesting music, small labels etc. In a moment of joy, I latch onto a DVD box set of the entire Jason King, the cult TV series I enjoyed over 30 years ago with my father. Before there was Austen Powers, there was Jason King, played by Peter Wyngarde.

On the plane ride I listened to an (obscure) disc of "improvised early music" by ensemble L'Arpeggiata, lead by harpist Christina Pluhar, and featuring Gianluigi Trovesi on clarinet. It took a bit of hunting down, but I dug up a copy at HMV. It's a real find, and thank you to Paul Dyer from the Brandenburg Orchestra for drawing attention to it.

Responding to a text message, I walked down to St Vincents Private Hospital, to visit my friend Steve, hospitalised after months of reactive arthritis with a herniated disk. We threaded together a conversation through his morphine until the latter done and I was ejected from his room.

Spent the rest of the afternoon wandering through Paddington weekend markets, enjoying the sunshine. It's not yet Spring and Sydney's been walking that deliciously cosy line between cool and warm.

Another Steve Irwin joke: why didn't he wear sunscreen to protect him from harmful rays?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow