Saturday, November 18, 2006

Book Shop Owner comes to the aid of Visitor and his dog.

I'm en route to Newcastle-upon-Tyne where I'll be for 9 days, and very likely with little internet access for posting updates here.
Earlier today I had a phone-call from Ethna Murphy of Fáilte Ireland, to tell me that "Stella Lynch from Mullingar, Co Westmeath was today announced as the national winner of the fifth Fáilte Ireland Irish Welcome Awards". Stella had been my impromptu and most gracious host one night in June, and I had nominated her for the award when I noticed a nomination form in Dublin the next day. She was picked out from a field of 4500 nominations, first as county winner, then shortlisted as one of 8 national finalists. Out of those 8, she was the only one not in the hospitality industry.

The Fáilte website has a full press release. In addition, as nominator of the national winner I am being awarded a €1500 holiday voucher. So I will have to schedule some time in Ireland next year to make use of that and to catch up with Stella again.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:17 pm

    Hooray for YOU!! ( and her and the dog) - MH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:14 pm

    Hi Mike,

    You have a nice blog . I like to exchange blog link with you.

    My blog is
    http://thestamfordraffles.blogspot.com

    If you are agreeable , pls put up my link in your site and I'll put yours on my site in return.

    Pls drop a line at my guestbook.

    cheers
    RL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Francoise6:12 am

    Well done, Mike. Stella is a long-time (30 years!) friend of mine. I live in Ontario, where she once lived, and miss her terribly. It's been a decade since I've been to Ireland.

    Stella is indeed wonderful. One of the reasons I have loved her as a friend for so long.

    Here's to hoping you get to see Ireland again soon.

    Francoise

    ReplyDelete

Flickr slideshow