Friday, November 03, 2006

In search of Fanny Scum

I'm looking forward to a few days in Dublin shortly with my friends Vance & Meme, followed by a week down in the South West of England. While I'm there, I'll be checking into the records offices of Devon & Cornwall for information on the births and backgrounds of my ancestor Samuel Jones (engineer and perhaps sometime expert on Victorian hydraulics) and his wife Jane Woolcock.

Woolcock is quite a common Cornish surname, and there's certainly no shortage of Joneses to hunt through. It would be much easier to locate my relatives if they had had multi-barrelled names like
ORCHARD BETOWING CHAMPION
DIONYSIUS WILLIAMS PERMEWAN RICHARDS
or
FREKE DOROTHY FLUCK LANE.
Then there's the general run o' the mill collection of eccentric Hobbitish or Gormenghastian names that enliven the Cornish recordbooks:
MELCHISEDEC BOSPIDNECK
PHILADELPHIA BUNNYFACE
ADMONITION CUNDY
POSTHUMOS DADSON
FOSCURINUS TURTLUFF DYER
GENTLE FUDGE
OBEDIENCE GINGER
OFFSPRING GURNEY
MAHERSHALALHASHBAZ RICHARDS
FRIDAY SCREETCH
FANNY SCUM
MELEOR STRANGEWIDGE
FREAK USTICK
CLOBERY SILLY WOOLCOCK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow