Monday, November 20, 2006

Newcastle-upon-Tyne

We're in a hotel at Quayside, a few minutes walk from the cat's cradle of bridges spanning the Tyne between Newcastle and Gateshead. In the downtown area, Fenwick department store has a large mechanised diorama of Gulliver tied up by the Lilliputians.
I drove out to the Newcastle Business Park to pick up Chris from the BA headquarters. I parked on William Armstrong Drive near by the Tyne, and found I was next to a display board detailing Armstrong's invention of the hydraulic crane. This was rather spooky as the book I'm reading, The Worms of Euston Square, opens with the sabotage of such a crane in 1859 London.

2 comments:

  1. Mike,

    Delighted you found the Wm Armstrong stuff and the Elswick Accumulator info. I nearly had a quarrel with an engineer friend who wouldn't believe hydraulic cranes were:
    - that early
    - that useful
    so I shall be sending him that photo.

    Glad you enjoyed the book. I just got on BBC London Radio with Robert Elms as a direct result of the reading at Pan's bookshop.

    Good travelling, man and dog!

    William Sutton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    Delighted you found the Wm Armstrong stuff and the Elswick Accumulator info. I nearly had a quarrel with an engineer friend who wouldn't believe hydraulic cranes were:
    - that early
    - that useful
    so I shall be sending him that photo.

    Glad you enjoyed the book. I just got on BBC London Radio with Robert Elms as a direct result of the reading at Pan's bookshop.

    Good travelling, man and dog!

    William Sutton

    ReplyDelete

Flickr slideshow