Sunday, December 31, 2006

Sha'ab El Erg - Carnatic - Sha'ab Abu Nuhâs





After a night aboard the Blue Seas at the marina, we began our Red Sea journey by moving to Sha'ab El Erg where I was to have my first open water scuba dive since 1989. I'd qualified for my PADI Open Water certificate in 1987 (the same year as our dive guide, Pia!)

As a refresher, I was completing my Advanced Open Water certification, which involves 5 specialty dives and some bookwork. I would be completing the compulsory Deep Dive and Underwater Navigation items, and the Boat, Wreck and Night dive options; three of them would be completed today.


Sha'ab El Erg was the site of my Boat dive, although it was not my first such dive, having completed a number of such during the 15 dives I'd done 1987-89.

After lunch, we moved to the Sha'ab Abu Nuhâs reef in the Strait of Gubal, where I was to do my first Wreck dive on the Carnatic, a cargo ship that sank in 1869. That evening I had a night-dive on a different part of the reef.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow