Friday, January 19, 2007

Tenby, celebrating 450 years of equality





By the time we reached the nearby seaside resort of Tenby this morning, the gale was gusting
70mph, verging on Force 10. Alison called me to invite us to stay at her place through the remainder of my stay, which was most welcome, but postponed it till the weekend as I felt guilty about checking out of our B&B before completing most of our booked nights.


Even under cloud and beaten by the Atlantic's exhalations, Tenby is ridiculously picturesque. Low tide had revealed a vast expanse of beach, with eddies of sand skimming along its length like the spirits of the freshly shipwrecked racing for safe harbour.Standing outside the museum on one headland, the sun appeared for the first time, as the gale had finally managed to budge some of the dismal cloud.



I dropped into the information centre for the Pembrokeshire Coast Park and got some tips on walking the 186mile coast path from one of the rangers. I saw a short film 'Wendy's Walk' about a partially sighted woman who walked the path over the course of July 2005 - the same time as Bondi and I walked the Great Glen Way.



Tenby was home to Welsh mathematician Robert Recorde, who introduced the "=" sign in 1557.
to auoide the tediouse repetition of these woordes: is equalle to : I will sette as I doe often in woorke use, a paire of paralleles, or Gemowe [i.e. "twin"] lines of one lengthe, thus: =, bicause noe .2. thynges, can be moare equalle



Since the day was half done, and Tenby was clearly in out-of-season mode, I drove us on to Narbeth for lunch, and then Haverfordwest (nothing to see). Our last stop for the day was at Neyland on the north side of Milford Haven, where leading engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel positioned the beginning of the South Wales Railway.

During my two days' of driving I listened to all 4 CDs of Clive James reading his fourth volume of unreliable memoirs "North Face of Soho".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow