Sunday, January 28, 2007

Upcoming months



Post #500: I've just made a stab at a route for our final assault on the continent over upcoming months. Much fine-tuning to be done, and of course the route will evolve further once we're on the road, adapting to circumstance and opportunity.

Assuming around 8 hours/day of driving, the route above adds up to about 25 days of travel. Distance is ~9750 miles / 15665 km.

Two destinations are called out because of family ties (through my father's mother) - Malmö in Sweden, and some villages southwest of Magdeburg in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. These are my only ancestral lines outside of the British Isles, each leading to South Australia in the mid-19th century.

I'd love to hear of any suggestions for tuning the route, picturesque byways, and pet-friendly accommodation suggestions.

Back in the British Isles, my other want-to-see-and-do items are:
  • Orkneys and Shetlands
  • Edinburgh Festival
  • at least one more long walk, perhaps Pembrokeshire Coast Path (186 miles/299km), or Offa's Dyke (177 miles/285km).
  • Ireland: Limerick, Tipperary, Kilkenny, Waterford & Wexford counties, and maybe a return to Dingle.
I'd also like to manage Iceland, Greenland and the Spitsbergen islands, but these would have to be done sans Bondi, not just because of cost of flights, but because there are no transport arrangements for animals with these destinations.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! A great itinerary. Envy, envy, envy that's all I can express right now. Does green suit me?

    ReplyDelete

Flickr slideshow