Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sicily: Agrigento, Noto, Siracusa






[Placeholder for journey from Palermo to Siracusa (Syracuse)]

This is beautiful driving country! Breathtaking.



Agrigento: Valley of the Temples




Someone's temple (everyone has a temple here); even the gods have bad Scrabble hands





Modica


We only drove through here, but it seems like a cross between Siena and Amalfi - a walled city but with one vertical wall.





Noto
Another place I would like to revisit. We stopped for 2 hours to walk around this gorgeous yellow-stone city: it's like the sun has been baked into the bricks. I had to put this on my route as I had read Duncan Fallowell's To Noto 15yrs ago. All I remember is that he drove from London to Noto.


Celebrated local hoops champion




Siracusa










Siracusa - Hotel Posta. When I checked in, the manager didn't blink an eye at Bondi, but a few minutes later when I had descended from the room to collect bags from the car, I could hear her on the telephone: "Giganto ..si.. giganto! .... giganto!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow