Saturday, April 21, 2007

Passenger lists



The picture above is yet another postcard of my great-grandmother Beatrice, which just popped up from an eBay notification. The accompanying text, taken from here, mentions her return to Australia in October 1911 at the end (unbeknown to her) of her swimming career.

As it happens, findmypast.com has just released searchable passenger records for those leaving the UK between 1890 and 1919, where I found the record of her return (surname misspelled as Ker). It is not clear who the accompanying Miss I Ker [sic] might be, except for her sister Elsie May Kerr, who had long been Mrs Samuel Wild and whose first child was due the following year.


I have not been able to locate any such record for her husband to be, Griffith Williams, on this journey, or any other from 1901 onwards (the last paper record I have of his existence is the 1901 Welsh census). There are several men by his name, but of different ages and professions, who have sailed to Australia in this time. I also looked across all sailings leaving the UK, in case he was recorded going to another destination first, but no luck there.

For completeness, I also note that I haven't found any records of Lancashire-born Samuel Wild's journeys to Australia. Maybe they drove overland, with malamute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow