Wednesday, June 13, 2007

It's Tuesday so it must be Belgium


A tower without a malamute in front

As I was checking out of the hotel this morning, I saw some framed newspaper clippings on the wall showing that the hotel / village had been used somehow during the filming of Shadow of the Vampire which featured John Malkovich as movie director F.W. Murnau, who inadvertently hires a real vampire, Max Schreck (played by Willem Dafoe), to play one in a horror movie. There are some great quotes:

F.W. Murnau: Why him, you monster? Why not the... script girl?
Max Schreck: Oh. The script girl. I'll eat her later.

Max Schreck: I feed like an old man pees -- sometimes all at once, sometimes drop by drop.




Moving on ... to Belgium ... we crossed the border in less than half an hour, passing Brussels and Ghent, and reaching Brugge aka Bruges around lunchtime. All I knew before reaching here, besides the fact that it's in Belgium, is that (a) it's supposed to be pretty; and (b) it was once the most important cloth market in Europe, until the river silted up in the 16th century nd business packed up and moved elsewhere.

So after half a day I can report that:
a) it's pretty
b) it's probably not the most important cloth market in Europe, although the buildings do look like they're made out of plaid brickwork.
c) I have not checked the silt levels

Lots of this sort of stuff

There seems to be a lot of older English couples from up North, wandering about, with a lot on their mind: "Do yer think it's a cross between a husky and a German Shepherd?" "Dunno, but it's bigger than me Spear and Jackson No3 shovel AND me rain-gauge."



I realised a few minutes ago that I'd wasted whatever money I'd paid for the ferry ticket from Oostend to Ramsgate on Thursday. It's not an approved route for bringing animals into the UK, so we'll be doing the EuroTunnel again, which is much more expensive, and an extra hour down the road to Calais.



I glanced at my odometer this week: I'm pretty sure we're past the 20,000km of roads travelled on this trip - and then there's the 6 ferry journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow