Saturday, September 22, 2007

Scams

I was really disgruntled when I realised today that the room-let I thought I was close to securing in London for the last 6-8 weeks of our stay here was actually just a scam. I'd been contacted via the Gumtree ad service just over a week ago. I'd had a nagging feeling that the place was too good to be true, but after much to-ing and fro-ing of emails, the circumstantial evidence of intended fraud was too high:
  • the other person, who I will refer to as KB, avoided telephone contact, and their writing style just didn't seem to match who they claimed to be
  • KB didn't want to use bank transfer for payment of security deposit - only Western Union money transfer
  • KB's responses were always very quick, and then when I raised the matter of my doubts, they stopped responding
In hindsight, another contact for alternate accommodation in Edinburgh was almost certainly a similar ploy. Both were very quick to push the requirement for some lease (which seems a little OTT for a short term share arrangement) and to use Western Union. Neither of the property offerers was currently available in the city where the property was located.

So, back to the listings...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow