Friday, October 26, 2007

Brief Encounters


Bondi checks up on a former resident of his namesake beach.

I had a noon coffee-date in the city near Covent Garden, but even after a quick trawl through the antiquarian bookshops on Cecil Court, I was still fifteen minutes early. I retraced my path along Monmouth Street by a few storefronts to Dress Circle where I thought I would fill in some time browsing through CDs. I left Bondi outside, but it can't have been more than a minute before someone on staff spotted him, asking if I had visited them last year. Just after that, an exiting customer spotted Bondi at the door, and turned to me "Aren't you the one travelling around the world with your dog?".

AND THEN the world shrunk a little bit more - he is one half of the couple I met in Taormina Sicily some seven months ago (I got them confused with Maureen & Tony of Cornwall, who I'd met several days later in Dubrovnik, Croatia. Ah well, travel broadens your thingy.)


Super-healthy lunch at Neal's Yard, engrossed in Jane Jacobs' Dark Age Ahead. It makes a fine complement to Sam Harris' The End of Faith, which is my "at home" read right now.

I wandered over to Foyle's store on Charing Cross Road. If you want to visit a BIG independent bookstore, then you can hardly do better, especially when Bondi is free to accompany me all over its five floors, garnering the occasional scratch behind the ears from staff and customers alike. Picked up Jonathan Coe's The Rain Before It Falls, and the second volume of reprinted Moomin comic-strips from the 1950s.


The last call for the day was Harold Moore's on Great Marlborough Street. I did have a prior invitation to attend a concert at the BMIA with my friend Ben, but since it was simply his semi-annual "concert to remind himself why he hates modern classical music", I realised that juggling Bondi back to Ealing for the sake of some inner-ear torture just wasn't going to happen.



At HM's, Bondi was introduced to Daisy, resident ingenue at 11 months, and she already knows that she likes them big, dark and hairy.


I'm a dental nurse. Oh dear, look at those dirty canines!


A kiss on the paw may be quite continental, but nothing quite does it for me like a man wearing a collar and leash.


I heard that Josephine Baker did this


Daisy [thinking to herself]: This can't last. This misery can't last. I must remember that and try to control myself. Nothing lasts really. Neither happiness nor despair. Not even life lasts very long. They'll come a time in the future when I shan't mind about this anymore. But I can look back and say quite peacefully and cheerfully how silly I was. No, no I don't want that time to come hither. I want to remember every minute, always, always to the end of my days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow