Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Cabaret


Took myself off to see Acker Bilk and Russ Conway Rufus Norris' new production of Cabaret. I've never seen it on stage, and only dimly recall seeing it on telly about 30 years ago. Even so, Minnelli and Grey's amazing performances still outshine the corresponding Sally Bowles and Emcee that I saw tonight. Granted the Emcee was a stand-in* for tonight, a better dancer than singer, but neither had the charisma for the part. The older characters of Frau Schneider and Herr Schulz were much more convincingly portrayed. They and the wonderful dancers/chorus supplied whatever energy was missing elsewhere.

Julian Clary is billed as the Emcee, although I wonder how his non-singing would have folded into the role, apart from imagining him doing a "Willkommen, Bienvenue, I do appreciate a warm hand on my entrance."


Finished John Scalzi's The Ghost Brigades, follow-up to Old Man's War.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow