Monday, December 24, 2007

Groundhog Moving Day


Sydney skies: it's starting to look a lot like Christmas

I have never lived in a house for more than 5 years. I've come close on 3 occasions: 1973-78 spent in a bank residence in Temora, 1994-98 in the house I'm reoccupying now, and 1998-2003 in my Wallingford house in Seattle. It goes without saying that I've been a total gypsy in the 4.5yrs since I left Seattle, with never more than 6 months continuous presence in any dwelling.

I'm unpacking in Australia for the third time since 2003. I remember when the moving van departed from my new Sydney house that year after dropping off a container-load of furniture and boxes. It was half the size of the Seattle house, and I had no idea where to put everything, and I was already having bad feelings about that house. I gathered Bondi and Dougal around me, and cried.

Six months after that, I had packed everything up again, found Dougal a new home in Adelaide, and started my first weeks of life, living more or less out of the car, with Bondi and a few suitcases. It was at that time that I'd started to formulate the idea of the grand tour that occupied us for the last 2.5yrs.

Bondi and I bounced around between Tasmania, Sydney and Melbourne for months, and then I found a room to rent, a resting place until I either found a reason to stay, or had enough momentum for the grand tour. I unpacked a little of what I had, shuffling some of it in and out of storage, as I either compressed, disposed of, or scanned items for backup. In May 2005, I packed that all up again to begin travelling.


Marrickville Sunday Market after the snow-plough went through

So now I find myself unpacking a third time, and -pleasepleaseplease- the last time, for the forseeable future. I think that sorting the books and paperwork have been occupying most of my time for the last 6 days, and I'm really looking forward to moving past this and redeveloping my life in Sydney.

It's a little weird bumping into acquaintances or strangers who have dropped into the blog from time to time, and that may become more frequent when I have Bondi beside me again. I'll also work out whether it makes sense to continue this blog, create a new one, or allow us to have a graceful withdrawal from cyber-life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow