In mid-June, Bondi will be gaining a new little brother, pictured above at 5 weeks of age. I don't expect he will grow to anywhere near Bondi's size (more a function of long legs than bulk), but then again Bondi was the runt of his litter.
Of course I've been hard at work looking for an appropriate name. I have a number of candidates, which do not include other Sydney beach names like Coogee, Bronte, Tamarama or Seven Shillings.
Current favourites are:
- Iorek: Iorek Byrnison - polar bear from Philip Pullman's stories
- Inari: Lake in northern Finland shown in the blog header above
- Gelert: Dog from the Welsh Mabinogion
- Orinoco: Womble at large
- Helo (Halo): character from the new series of Battlestar Galactica
- Taliesin (Tally): Welsh. "Radiant brow"
- Kuruk: Native American. "Bear"
- Gelar: Aboriginal. "Brother"
- Cuán: Irish. "Little wolf"
- Nuka: Greenlandic. Younger sibling.
- Munson: Famous Ealing comedy filmed in shades of brown.