Sunday, July 13, 2008

Love and the Time of Collaring



It's exactly one month since Munson dropped into our lives.

I took both the boys into the vet yesterday, canis minor for his second round of vaccines, and canis major for a general inspection - especially of his jaw, which I suspected to be subject to some arthritis.

Munson weighed in at 14.6kg, so he's been growing at 1.5kg/week since he arrived. Bondi surprised me by only clocking up 58.4kg - he seems much more solid but has only put on 1.5kg in 6 months! It must be the sheer density of his regrown hair.

The vet seemed to agree with my diagnosis of arthritis of the jaw - the "death skhream" is actually Bondi howling with pain when he overextends it to tell off Munson, or to take a large item such as a toy or chicken carcass into his mouth. I'll monitor this for the next few weeks, so that we can determine if he'll need some additional medication.



Last week my bathroom drains backed up - probably due to the output of my little poopsicle. The Sewers Crisis lasted for about 5 days, several with me mopping day and night, and two more while a plumber tried to get a jetter past the blockage.




Today's photos are all taken at Sydney Park. It's Munson's first exposure to a lot of other dogs since leaving his litter. While not afraid to boss Bondi and me around, he's rather shyer with most other dogs.




8 comments:

  1. Such an adorable pup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:32 am

    I'm so glad I checkedo out your blog on a whim. I knew you were done so I hadn't been by in a while. I love your dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect vision of cuteness!

    Woo woo, Kelsey Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. We hope Bondi feels better soon - with or without meds. It's a drag getting old - or so Mom says. Munson just keeps getting cuter!
    ECHO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Munson, you are looking more and more adorable! And growing soooo fast!

    Poor Bondi! I sure hope you can find something that helps. Can you get Cosequin in Australia? It is a great glucosamine/chondroitin supplement that really helps with joints. Mom uses it on Abby and Samuel for their joint arthritis, and it really helps. They also get Rimadyl, which is a doggie anti-inflamatory.

    Please keep us updated! I will send some healing Malagal vibes your way.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bondi is on Rimadyl (100mg/day) for his knee issues. The vet said that because the jaw muscles are a different type, they need steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (Rimadyl is non-steroidal).

    Bondi has been on glucosamine/chondroitin supplements before but he hasn't responded to them in either capsule or injected form.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a handsome pair!

    And khudoes for the khorrekht spelling of skhream ;-)

    My furry best to all!!!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey buddy,

    welcome to www.dogswithblogs.com.au - it is great to meet you, and I am sure you will make lots of new friends here :)

    love

    opy

    ReplyDelete

Flickr slideshow