Sunday, December 21, 2008

Haida Manga: Flight of the Malamute.

Munson learns the art of blogging

Munson learns the art of blogging

One significant date slipped through this week - the first anniversary of Bondi and I returning to Sydney. Whoa, where did that year go? It did at least spur me to breaking ground on writing a book about our adventures, and I'm quite pleased with the polished draft of a prologue. Now to put head down and structure the entire tale.*

A few days later we marked 6 months of Munson in our hairy household: at 8 months he's just passed the 40kg (~90lb) mark.

I've made some conceptual progress on a tattoo based on number one son. I've struggled with getting the right visual style, since I didn't want to go with a regular portrait. I visited Kaleidoscope Tattoo near Bondi Beach and checked through their gallery. In the process I happened across a picture of a killer whale executed by an artist in the Haida tradition, a couple of examples of which I've collected below.

whale_magnet whale (WW Planetarium) Flight of the Hummingbird

Vancouver Aquarium - Stanley Park

I was immediately reminded of this picture I took of Bondi outside the Vancouver Aquarium in Stanley Park on our first road trip in 2002. The orca statue is "Chief of the Undersea World" by Bill Reid.

The Haida are an indigenous nation stretched out from Alaska down to British Columbia, and as such provide a link between the source of Bondi's breed and his birthplace.

Researching further, I found the works of contemporary artists shown at the House of the Spirit Bear Gallery, and the Haida Manga  of Michael Nicoll Yahgulanaas [MNY]. I was quite enchanted by the animal figures he executed for the recent book Flight of the Hummingbird, which I was able to pick up at one of my local bookstores.

So, the narrative language and tradition that I was looking for I found realised in this style of work. Very exciting! The next step is commissioning the actual artwork. More news as it comes to hand.


Some blog housekeeping: I fixed the LABEL CLOUD in the left column which went missing when I changed the blog template to a wider version.


*The New Canterbury Tails: Prologue to the Dog who needed a Bath's tale.

2 comments:

  1. Khongrats on the milestones!

    The killer whale pikhs are khwite khool!

    Good lukhk with getting Chapter One out of your head and into the laptop!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  2. We wish you a Merry Christmas ,
    We wish you a Merry Christmas ,
    We wish you a Merry Christmas ,
    & A HAPPY NEW YEAR !!

    xoxo ,
    Four Musketeers & Family
    Lady , Zena , Cody & Joyce

    ReplyDelete

Flickr slideshow