Tuesday, October 06, 2009

A Modern Dog's Life

9781742231051

This evening I attended the launch of a new book A Modern Dog's Life by Dr Paul McGreevy, from the University of Sydney's veterinary science faculty. I've known Paul for many years  - probably no one was more surprised to find that I had become the proud "life coach" for an Alaskan Malamute during my time in Seattle.

While I've concentrated my time mostly on a few wondrous individual animals, Paul's efforts have made valuable contributions in behavioural medicine for horses and dogs. Some Australian readers may have seen him on the recent Catalyst program following up the BBC documentary Pedigree Dogs Exposed.

I read most of the first two chapters on the bus on the way home and look forward to polishing off the rest through the week. There's a lot of information in this book but it's presented very digestibly with quick summaries at the end of each chapter. The underlying drive is to understand our dogs and meet their needs so that we become better companions - or as Paul puts it - life-coaches for our dogs.

The book is published by University of New South Wales Press. ISBN: 978-1-74223-105-1.  It's available to order from Amazon UK.

Here's Paul talking about the book:

1 comment:

  1. Just started reading your blog. I think it's great that you took your dog with you on your European treck!! I haven't read a whole lot as of yet, but I'm looking forward to reading previous posts and just wanted to say hi!

    ReplyDelete

Flickr slideshow