Friday, April 09, 2010

The next adventure

Le jour de gloire est arrivé !

While I’ve been spinning my wheels in Sydney, for about six months I’ve been mulling an opportunity to start a new chapter in my life with a move to France. With my friends Brent, Jean and their trois petits uns taking to life in the  Midi-Pyrénées, I can establish a new base for Munson and myself in their immediate vicinity.

2009 was not a great year for me all round: losing Bondi, my cousin Natalya, and my old friend Stuart to short illnesses in a little over six months, each long before their time. A combined half-century and more of friendship passing over into memory.

The month of May will mark not only a year since Bondi’s passing, but five years since the mad man and the wolf embarked on the European adventure described in the busy first years of this blog.

My plan in outline is to head for London in late June, and spend a few weeks saying hi to everyone and introducing Munson to the remote extended family who have seen him grow up at  a distance. At this time I’ll be looking to buy a used utility vehicle (cheaper in UK) to carry us deep into the south-west of France in July.

Questions?

Vale Malcolm McLaren 1946-2010

8 comments:

  1. What an awesome adventure for you AND for us!

    Khyra and I enjoyed reading about Scout's visit as well.

    I was saddened to see Malcolm's passing in my Google Reader blog feeds before we turned in for the night -

    Thanks for sharing that video here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear you're off on a new adventure...has it really been a year??? Doesn't time fly when you're not having fun...

    Sounds like you've got some great times ahead. Good luck to you. Hope to meet you and Munson when you're in London...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Perhaps we'll have a chance to meet one day when you and Munson are settled! Bonne aventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phil: Absolutely! It's like I've got a whole new group of people to meet post-blog.

    Walt: Since Saint-Aignan is conveniently half-way between Gers and Calais, that might be very easily accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds so exciting!! We just hope you will continue to share yours and Munson's adventures with us!

    Holly and Khady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! We may be seeing you again this Summer! Garry and I can hardly believe we've just passed the 4.5 year mark since our departure from Sydney. Hpoefully 2010 will be a better year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!
    Was great to see you today, albeit briefly! I can't believe that Bondi's been gone for that long! And another exciting adventure ahead of you...this time with a new friend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mike,
    I've been following your blog for a while now, so long that I cannot recall how I found it in the first place... I cannot believe you and Munson are coming to the old continent, and stopping in the UK, so close to me (relatively close, as I'll be in Manchester by then).

    I'll be looking forward to the new scenario and the events in general.... good luck with the moving and all!

    manu

    ReplyDelete

Flickr slideshow