Tuesday, October 26, 2010

LONDON : Outsider Tart

NEWS: Due to strike action in France there is a big fuel shortage which may make my journey to Lyon tomorrow impracticable. I don’t want to get stranded along the highway or stuck in Lyon with continuing strike action. I’m checking the news regularly so I can make a go/no-go decision.

Georgia and Munson

In the last week two people have encouraged me to visit Outsider Tart bakery in Chiswick. I kept mis-hearing it ( or they kept mis-speaking it ) as Outside of a Tart, which I thought was an elliptical allusion to the Groucho Marx line:

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Of course it’s really a pun on outsider art which you can all look up yourselves if required.

PA260405 PA260409

The bakery is a cosy and colourful place at the eastern end of Chiswick High Street. When we arrived we met Remy, a quiet 2yo Leonberger sitting near the end of the store. So when someone entered later, looked at Munson and said he was the biggest dog he’d ever seen, I was able to nonchalantly indicate with my head “there’s a bigger one just over there.”

It’s not all sweet things. I had a couple of savoury sausage rolls and then a red velvet whoopie pie (like a big melting moment cookie) with mascarpone cheese filling. Munson had to make do with a small treat and big hopes.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my!

    That red velvet whoopie pie has me drooling!

    I love the thought of mascarpone filling instead of the normal fluffy goo used here

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looked and sounded yummy to me. Thanks for replying and I will go and check out the blue cloud. GJ x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What??? No sausage roll for Munson? Totally unacceptable! Us Mals always need lots of meat for our growing bodies!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete

Flickr slideshow