Friday, December 31, 2010

Scenes from the auto-route

I intended to be on the road about 8am this morning for the long drive back to the farm. Waking before 6, I knew I wasn’t going to get back to sleep so ended up hitting the road soon after for a few hours of pre-dawn driving. I chose a more northerly return route, swooping past Lyon and then following the E70. When I drove back from Lyon in October I chose the middle path – extremely scenic, but adding many hours of winding secondary and tertiary roads. And so with another dozen life-stories from Desert Island Discs to keep me company, we were highway bound.

Some parts of the road had the thickest fog I’ve ever driven through. Breaking out of one such patch I saw the beautiful structure below: the Chavanon Viaduct with its suspension cable running down the centre of the bridge

Chavanon Viaduct

IMG_0421 An hour or so later, refilling car and self at one of the big autoroute centres, I found this room at the rear with projected images and sounds of the area to relieve driver stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow