Friday, December 31, 2010

VOIRON & beyond: Annecy

PC301828-29_stitch

Savoie Libre Today’s itinerary comprised a set of towns on a NE axis from Voiron : Chambéry, Aix-les-Bains and Annecy. We started with Annecy, the most distant at 100km. Geneva is only another 45km after that. Over the last thousand years, this territory has moved between the county of Geneva, the House of Savoy, France, the Kingdom of Sardinia, and finally back to France in 1860.

Judging by the graffiti on the plaque (left), the Savoyard Liberation Front are keen to free the territory from its current oppression.

Lake Annecy, the second largest in France and reputedly the cleanest in Europe, sits next to the oldest part of the city (unsurprisingly). It reminds me of Lake Lucerne.

PC301818 PC301819-820_stitchPC301821-27_stitch

PC301837  what a silly idea 

 Keep the lake clean, leash your dog, and don't eat the ducks Preserve us from the savage fauns

Oppressive regulations: keep the lake clean, leash your dog, and don't eat the ducks. Apparently being eaten is dangerous to a duck’s health. Who knew?

Obligatory picture of the Palais de l'Isle (centre)

Swans

The old town is very touristy – a Franco-Swiss blend of Venice and Brugges if you will. One can choose to be appalled by that, or by how very ordinary the streetscape becomes as soon as you exit through one of the old city gates.
PC301851_-853stitch

A word from my sponsor

5 comments:

  1. I'm curious to know why your posts arrive so late? Your December 30th post has just turned up and it is January 10th? My blogger dates my new posts automatically - so how is it yours appear over 10 days late? Are you able to change the posting date yourself? Just curious is all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo of Munson smiling next to the empty orangina bottle is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Terry - Under the main Blogger edit box, if you click Post Options, you can set the date & time of the post.

    As I have so much material over the New Year period when I didn't have time to blog, or internet connection to do so, I'm pushing the posts out as I get time, with all events set to when they happened.

    For the last couple of years I've used Windows Live Writer to author the posts, which simplifies most of the writing, layout and posting enormously. Don't know what the Mac equivalent might be, but it's a wonderful free tool. It's more obvious how to set date/time in that tool.

    Do make sure your profile's timezone is set correctly too, otherwise you'll get an offset from the time you think you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks mate - good to know I can do that. There have been times in the past where I wished I could have slipped another post into the blog after the event and still keep it chronological! Now I can! (And yes - I'm one of those people who only reads the first page of a gadgets instruction manual and assumes I'll 'pick up' the rest - and consequently utilises about 20% of the functions!!)
    I'm on a PC so I'll have a butchers at the Windows Live Writer when I get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can also post-edit the dates on your blogs to correct them. I do that occasionally with early posts on this blog as that feature didn't exist at the time.

    Live Writer comes in the general offering with Live Messenger etc. You can hook it up to most of the mainstream blog engines.

    ReplyDelete

Flickr slideshow