Thursday, February 24, 2011

Mr. January

P2232550

I’ve just received a lovely care package from Australia, well-assembled by my friend Nick in Sydney. He told me he’d seen a calendar for sale in Sydney Park with Munson’s picture in it, and offered to send it along with some other items I might care for.

2011-02-23First: the calendar Bad Boys (and Girls) of Sydney Park. Munson figures as the main dawg for January, and again in August having a tussle with one of his great playmates, Bob. I recognise these pictures as having been taken by Bob’s owner, Al. The remaining pages have pictures of some others of Munson’s playmates such as Milly, Batman, Moby, Puck, Uschi, Diesel, Pierre, Meg, Tilly, and of course, Scout.

 

I must add that two nights ago I had a dream that I was briefly holidaying in Sydney Park with Munson. I don’t think I went anywhere else in the dream; I just sat on a hill in the park and talked to our friends there.

Second: the accompanying items. It’s strange what comes to mind when asked for package filler, but I selected a few supermarket items that I can’t get here in the podes (qua antipodes).

  • Iced VoVo biscuits: raspberry jam and pink fondant sprinkled with coconut. An Australian staple for over a century.
  • Lemon Myrtle spice. This is an Australian native food (backhausia citridora) which has a much higher citron content than lemon or lemongrass. It can be deployed widely in foods and drinks. I also have essential oil infusions of it in soaps and air-freshener.
  • Dried Apricots. Really dried apricots, as distinct from the less dry and more colourful (probably because of sulfur dioxide treatment) Turkish variety that I can buy anywhere.

If I was going to nominate one other foodstuff from Australia it would probably be yoghurt, which is much creamier than the French domestic varieties (it may derive from more of a Balkan tradition), and often comes with mouth-watering fruits from berries to passionfruit. The closest thing I’ve encountered here is a Turkish brand Baktat which pops up occasionally in promos at one of the local Carrefour supermarkets. I sweeten it with honey, marmalade or fig jam. Its labelling suggests it’s intended for the German market and comes in litre pots rather than tiny 150g potlets. I don’t know why, but most of the large yoghurt pots have disappeared from the supermarket shelves in recent months, replaced by various blends of fromage frais, fromage blanc or “indeterminate white dairy stuff”. If someone can give me a primer on all of these, please step forward!

I should point out that regardless of my dairy preferences, Munson is always willing to clean out the container.

Five Iced VoVos and about a dozen pieces of dried apricot were consumed in the production of this blog post.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Munson the pin-up boy! He's so handsome, so how could he NOT be in the calendar!

    So, did Munson get to enjoy any of those treats?

    Holly

    ReplyDelete

Flickr slideshow