Saturday, June 04, 2011

His name is Legend

Legend

In an outpost on the edge of France, in a land where laughter is king, one dog… was not enough.(*)

Some months ago, Jean and Brent put in an order  for a puppy from the next litter of Pyrénéan Mountain dogs. They’re owned by a friend who lives in the French shadow of the Pyrénées. The name was also decided well in advance – he would be “Legend”.

Legend is a popular term of affection in Australia - “Oh maaate you brought me back a beer – ah yer a legend!” or “Could you be a legend and drop this letter in the mailbox on your way into town?” - so it’s a good bit of larrikin humour for the farm.

Legend’s litter arrived on April 9, so at eight weeks he’s now ready to be brought to his forever home. Jean was driving down to the Pyrenees with Lucy and one of her young friends, and I offered to go along as puppy-holder as Legend was likely to be too much of a handful for young girls.

So not far from the Spanish border, we were greeted at the gate by the mother Sheba, and a couple of other adults of the breed. One was as large in Bondi in stature, but at around 50kg was much closer to Munson’s weight. Whatever the case, these great gentle dogs, who are capable of taking down a bear, would be a good match for Munson. There were about 7 pups in the litter and they already weighed in at about 7kg (15.4lb). I thought at the time that was more than Munson, but I checked my records and he was 8.8kg (19.4lb) at the same stage.

some of Legend's siblings

Michael and Legend  Lucy, Pascale & Legend 

In the picture where Lucy is holding Legend, you can see a distinguishing feature of the breed, one of the double dew-claws on his hind leg.

Legend and brother to Legend

Legend in his own lunchboxHe’s a very quiet lad, a few little mews of “oh”, and that’s it. For the ride back he was put in a blanket-lined cardboard box on my lap. I noticed he’d just had a big drink of water, and knew from experience that I should have something between his bladder and my lap for the 90 minute journey home.
We’d barely got out of the village when he raised his head and sniffed around me – somewhat affectionately I thought – until I saw that he’d thrown up a mudslide of dog biscuits all over my top. “Just as well it didn’t happen at the other end of the journey” I lamented ironically. He slept for most of the trip, and then woke up in the last 15 minutes of winding Gersois roads – I kept his head down in the box for the repeat performance.

Now the legend begins as he joins 28 head of cattle, one house cat (Bug), one house dog (Tosca), four barn kittens (Greycute, Griff, Milkshake, Candyshop/Cuddles), Kevin the rooster and his large harem – and one big Munson living next door. I chose not to overwhelm Legend with an intro to Munson on his first day, but I did find a number of Munson’s puppy chew things to donate to Legend’s crate. I also had some ‘splainin’ to do when Munson sniffed new dog on me that night…
Legend's crib

(*) In an outpost on the edge of France, in a land where laughter is king, one dog… was not enough.

2 comments:

  1. What a khutie!

    I did a transport with a mostly Pyr mix a few months back so I got to experience the special dew claws - quite something

    I know we'll be looking forward to reading Legend's legends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We expect great things from you, Legend!

    ReplyDelete

Flickr slideshow