Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Decamping to the continent

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve driven down to Dover for an early morning ferry. Once aboard, I’m always torn between trying to caffeinate and getting an  hour or so of napping time. Neither seem to work very well.

The road-journey is very dull until we get into the orbit of Paris and are bumped from road to road, over ramps, through tunnels and around and about like a helpless marble in a pinball machine. The GPS can’t keep up with the lane-changes after tunnels and we miss a few exits, but at least that gives Gustav the minor thrill of distant views of the Eiffel Tower and Sacré Coeur.

Five weeks ago when we set out from the farm and stayed with Ken & Walt before turning towards Sweden, we were invited to stay on the return journey. Because this journey coincided with them having other guests I booked a B&B nearby so we could at least drop in for an aperitif. Only hours from our destination, I got a message from the B&B saying they’d overbooked and didn’t have a room for us, so I messaged Walt for ideas. While I tried to find alternate places on my phone browser during roadside stops, Walt offered the use of a tent in their yard… and why not?

Saint-Aignan

We rolled into Saint-Aignan a little before 6pm, and had a delightful evening with Walt, Ken and their American guests Evelyn and Lewis. The tent was set up in the back yard, and Munson had the privilege of guarding us through the night.
St Aignan camping
We slept very well through the night, rather enjoying the minor adventure. It was a little cool but we had plenty of blankets and sleeping bags. I think Munson relished sleeping on grass all night, and then being able to go inside and will Lewis to give him some breakfast crumbs.

Gustav's morning calisthenics Walt, Ken, Munson & Lewis

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad it wasn't too uncomfortable! And that it didn't rain...

    ReplyDelete

Flickr slideshow