Thursday, August 11, 2011

LONDON Provisioning

Munson spent last night sleeping in the back garden as his post-worming diarrhoea continued. I think the dosage rates may be too high for large dogs: I remember Bondi having a similar reaction to his pre-Channel treatment in Bruges a few years ago, and I don’t recall any vet warning of this commonplace response.

First priority of the day was to get a UK SIM card, so we trekked over to Sutton’s high street to visit Vodafone. They were closed for refurbishment so I tried Orange across the street. As soon as we walked in, Munson suddenly threw up last night’s dinner. I quickly cleaned it all up and then asked Orange about their PAYG SIMs but their data rates were extraordinarily high so they told me I’d be better off going to a competitor. Points for honesty (and for empathy with Munson’s condition), if not for competitiveness. The O2 shop up the street gave me a card with more than enough minutes and data for my three weeks for a mere £10. The sales guy told me they were on alert from the police due to the looters targeting phone stores. I’ll be interested to see how many get nabbed as soon as they go online because the phone’s unique IDs can be tracked against stolen inventory.

With that out of the way we went over to Barnes to brunch at Orange Pekoe, one of my favourite London coffee haunts (although it’s actually a very fine tea-house). I always seem to meet interesting people when sitting at one of the outside tables, and today was no exception. Munson’s presence ignited a friendly conversation that drew in people from about four tables.

Munson's provisions (1) Munson's provisions (2)


After that I just had to pick up some food for Munson, mostly rawhide chews, pigs’ ears and other things to supplement his dry kibble on our walking days. He also needed good treats for training rewards while on the road. One of my two bags was largely a two-week supply of dog food. There was no way that I’d have access to reliable supplies for him during the walk, and could only hope to obtain bones or fresh meat opportunistically when passing through villages towards the end of a walking day. This was how I always prepared for long road journeys with Bondi or Munson: carry a good supply of dry food they are familiar with and then top up on the road.

For our expedition this month, kibble was split up into smaller bags and then everything arranged inside a large supermarket carry bag and that was tucked into a duffle bag for easier transportation.

After that and the two prior days of driving,  my energy was pretty much sapped so we just crashed at Jonnie and Grant’s for the rest of the day. Munson’s appetite was still on again, off again, giving me some concerns for the start of the walk. His energy level – including pulling capacity – was still high; his digestive system just needed a day or two to recover.

5 comments:

  1. Lesley5:18 pm

    Does Munson carry his own dinner? An evenly weighted saddlebag would look just the business!
    Hope that he firms up for the Trek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Munson! Maybe he needs a few Tumms or some Malox to help his tummy. Hope he feels better soon!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Munson indeed. Why do I always see your posts about 2 weeks later than the date they are posted at? Is it that you write them for future posting? Confused in Scotland!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Craig: the blog posts are set to the day of the event rather than the default day of posting. When I'm travelling it's rarely possible to post in real time due to lack of Internet access.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK that makes sense. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Flickr slideshow