Thursday, October 20, 2011

The measure of my cooking

Now that Gustav is here, Munson is no longer the principal beneficiary of my bachelor cooking. I’m dusting off my antique culinary skills which have not had a good work out since my first residency in Marrickville in the mid 90s. I haven’t done a roast in over fifteen years – despite kitchen successes in other cuisine,  the last lamb that came out of my oven had all the texture of a clay pot and about as much moisture.

Lamb is quite expensive in France, so I took the chance on a sale platter of cuts sourced from Ireland. Under it all was a lamb shoulder which prompted me to to use my oven for the first time in a year by re-attempting a roast.
lamb shoulder - before  lamb shoulder - after

I’m not going to boast of any special family recipe – most of the roasts I had as a kid were as dry as the obligatory Yorkshire pudding that accompanied them for Christmas lunch. I simply looked up lamb shoulder online for some clue of what to do with it, and tried the first recipe I found, which was Jamie Oliver’s incredible roasted shoulder of lamb. I didn’t use his “smashed veg” accompaniment, preferring to line the pan with an assortment of cut up root vegetables.
 
MunsonAfter four hours of the scent of rosemary permeating the entire hour, I extracted a fantastically moist and tender feast from the oven. The ultimate judgement comes from Munson’s “measuring stick”; I think malactite is the correct name for these.

2 comments:

  1. I had a Siberian Wolf in my hands when I did lamb in the crockpot last year -

    She did NOT take her eyes off the counter for much of the time I was letting it cook -

    ReplyDelete
  2. French lamb is expensive, but it's worth the splurge now and then. We have a tradition: on the American Thanksgiving holiday, we buy and roast of a leg of lamb. We've done this for decades, even when we lived in the US (those bloated turkeys there are not very good and much to large for the two of us).

    I'll have to look up Jamie's recipe...

    ReplyDelete

Flickr slideshow