Monday, February 20, 2012

Soft-wear release

Gustav as knitting model done!

Beginning to end, this sweater took four weeks, although if I had all the right needles, and less terse instructions in the design, I may have polished it off in two. The pattern wasn’t difficult, but it definitely needed de-bugging. I’m not the first person to contact the designer about problems, but even after a year the pattern hasn’t been corrected or otherwise updated. Oh the woes of the softwear industry!

competing for attentionI did learn three new techniques in the course of this project: three-needle bind-offs, short-row shaping, and mattress stitch seaming. I got a bit carried away with the idea of using the three-needle bind-off as a seaming method and wasted a couple of evenings on the shoulders with this method and then unpicking it all when I realised that it was too rigid for these segments. It looked beautiful underneath, but the shoulders became very creased.

 

Thank you to Tina at Knitwhits/Freia’s Fibers for help with yarn, and Cristi on Ravelry for helping me sort out how to interpret the design instructions (or lack thereof) for the shawl collar.

4 comments:

  1. It looks great. Has anybody tried it on yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ken! I of course tried it on as soon as I'd put the needles down, but I think Gustav makes a better model for it, and I've updated the post with an extra picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anita3:21 pm

    Very impressed. I started crocheting a jacket about 3 years ago and it's not finished yet. Given that all that's left to do is sew the squares together I think I'm just putting off the boring bits.

    ReplyDelete

Flickr slideshow