Monday, March 25, 2013

Swedish interlude

kitchen sunI’ve been bouncing around from place to place white a bit over the last few weeks – I count 9 beds across France, England and Sweden since leaving the farm – but today is the last full day in the northern hemisphere before Gustav and I fly to Sydney.

I’m glad that I got to see his parents one last time before departure, and Gustav had a few friends over for morning coffee. He had been best man at the wedding of two of them only the night before I arrived.

We had some troubles with seat check-in on the airline, as Etihad’s booking system didn’t acknowledge Copenhagen as a possible starting point for a journey. I finally got through to their helpdesk and got seating for one of our three flights but were told we’d have to wait until we got to Abu Dhabi before we could fix our seating for the final thirteen hour leg to Sydney.  Some hours later I got an email from another part of Etihad suggesting I call their Johannesburg office, and supplied a local South African number. Somewhat mystified by this, a friend in the travel business suggested they got CPH and CPT (Capetown) confused. I hope that our pilot is better briefed.

After dinner and slightly tearful goodbyes at the railway station we travelled to Malmö to stay at our friend Hugh’s for the night. Some others came over for late drinks before we settled on the sofa ahead of a 3.45 alarm.

Gustav the bandit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow