Thursday, May 16, 2013

Shirt and tie

I started a new job yesterday.

Half way through the day in fact.  Since last week I’ve thrice had coffee or lunch with the guy who runs an office in my street who I’ve known for fifteen years. He’s been courting me to come work for him, doesn’t care that I have no formal industry experience, just believes in me. After today’s lunch at a nice cafe around the corner, where I negotiated a starting salary, we walked back to the office. I was introduced to the team and started immediately.

Today I’m in shirt and tie for work for the first time in about twenty years. While most of my clothing drifts slowly across the ocean in my furniture I’ve got three passable shirts and a single tie in my luggage which will at least get me started. Last night I borrowed an iron and ironing board from my friend Phil up the street and did more ironing in one session than at any other time this millennium.

It’s all a bit of a shock to the system, but I can’t complain about the commute. It’s about the same distance as walking to the pond by the house on the French farm.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new job, sounds like a great opportunity to finally have a change of career. I'm a bit jealous about the commuting time (mine is only 1.5h times 2) but hey you got shirts to iron and I don't! I guess you could even walk home for lunch and keep an eye on Munson every now and then...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Félicitations, I'm sure. You quickly landed on your feet, and I'm not really surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My commiserations!! Must be a rude awakening to be back in the grind. I don't even own a tie (or an iron and ironing board for that matter, having made the decision in the '70's that if it needs ironing don't buy it!)

    ReplyDelete

Flickr slideshow