Thursday, August 22, 2013

Home again, home again, jiggety-jig

The surgeon called this morning to say that Munson was ready to go home and wouldn’t need the three days of expected post-op care.  “Great! I’ll collect him now.” I’d put his blanket on the bed this morning as a symbolic gesture, never imagining he might be on it within hours rather than days.

Banket on bed awaits regular occupantNow wasn’t practical; he would need one more round of analgesia mid-afternoon and then I could pick him up. I had butterflies in my stomach all day, but at least these were better than the teeth-grinding anxiety I experienced the night before his surgery, which left my jaw so sore by midday I had to go home to find some pain-killers.

Much of this stress was soothed by the incredible reaction to the Munson v Cancer  fund-raising drive on GoFundMe which pulled in nearly a thousand dollars towards his surgical costs in the first day. I woke to the sound of my email inbox ringing in each donation like a New Year bell. Further generous donations appeared in my letter-box and by direct deposit. Thank you all, thank you all so much.

One side effect of my anxiety was that I got last year’s tax done in a few hours, so I could throw my small refund into Munson’s hospital kitty.

At our 4.20pm reunion he was quite perky, even with a band of stitches extending along half a shorn leg. He was quite the patchwork toy with bands of shaved hair where surgical tubes had been planted, all crowned with a fresh new plastic collar. With the hair gone, you can see what a slim leg he has, appearing to be tucked into a giant malamute-paw slipper. 

malamute paw slippers  Stitches
Tumour post-biopsyFor the curious, I’ve included a picture of the tumour last week after the biopsy, but scaled it down so you can avoid it, unless you care to click through. It demonstrates just how aggressive it was, coming out of nowhere to have a height comparable to the thickness of the joint. It’s been essential to attack it before it metastasized.

I had a debrief from one of the other doctors about his pain-killer and antibiotic regimen, and then Munson decided that I’d dilly-dallied enough and we should get out of there. back in the car Sleeping with pink hippo
It’s been a rough year for Munson, with unexplainable separations for his quarantine, and now several days of veterinary comings and goings, alternated with the space-helmet. All probably seem like terrible punishments, so I need to ensure that everything else is stable and reassuring. Once again, thank you to all readers for your love and support.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so glad Munson is home and that icky tumor is gone! Bless both your hearts! My love and prayers for Munson, you, and Gustav.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crossing everything for a safe and happy outcome...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you just need to spoil him rotten!! Well, even MORE rotten!!!

    Khady Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many of us will continue to send all the PAWSitive vibes we can -

    Along with a few green papers when I have a few free moments -

    Go Munson Go!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra and Her Mom
    P.S.: Go Mike Go too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:34 pm

    Oh so great to see Munson is home. Our thoughts and best wishes go out to you all. We lost out last mally at age 11 to bone cancer and it broke our hearts, devistated us completely, but Munson is young and strong and we wish him well and hope for a speedy recovery from this nasty tumour and hope you have a happy and healthy Mally in no time. Big hugs to you special Munson from Lola and Sakari and family xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand completely how your loss would have affected you. I lost Bondi to bone cancer in 2009 and it had a profound effect on me for a year. It's one of the great regrets of my life that it was not detected earlier. Even though it would have been difficult to cure (being in the jaw), the pain that he endured might have been considerably reduced.

      Hugs
      Mike and Munson

      Delete
  6. Rachelle Tulloch9:20 pm

    Yay!!! Go Munson!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so happy he is home and can be pampered....he looks quite relieved to be back with his family

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are thinking of you all.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delighted that he's back home with you guys. Sending you so much love!! Thanks for the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of positive thoughts and prayers from our household :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're glad to hear the big guy's on the road to recovery. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete

Flickr slideshow