Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Ten years of El Loco & El Lobo

10yrs - with a very silly pictureOn May 27 2005, I made my first blog post, having two days earlier taken off from Sydney for “a year or so” of European travel. Nothing special in that, other than my principal companion being a 75kg Alaskan Malamute by the name of Bondi, who I had adopted at eight weeks in Seattle just before Xmas 1998.

The blog took off slowly – I didn’t take or post many pictures, partly because it didn’t occur to me that I might get a following, or as it turned out, to inspire others to bring a malamute into their lives.

This will be post #1765 which is a pretty good output over that ten years, not counting extra material published on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr and YouTube. YouTube itself is only three months only than this blog, with Google Maps appearing at the same time, albeit in a pretty sketchy form. When I was travelling around Europe there wasn’t all the amenity of street-views and route maps, nor the luxury of using a smart phone to summon up that detail. I found my way around by following a leash attached to a large creature with a powerful wet nose.

Posting peaked during years of intense travel 2006-2007 and the years in France 2010-2012. Bondi’s premature death in 2009 and Munson’s cancer scare in 2013 put some brakes on. Our first year back in Australia was quite hard for all us (Michael, Gustav and Munson) as we looked for work and dealt with Munson’s illness.

Since the middle of last year however, things have really picked up. Each of us has moved on from very temporary work situations to more secure and rewarding positions; Munson’s health has been great and he has become the king of the local dog park. Never has the role of ruler and jester been so well combined in a single fluffy suit.

Until post #1766: a bientôt, hasta luego and see ya later alligator.Sydney Park Feb 2 2009
PS I’ve filled in the missing gap from late Feb – early March 2013 when we left the farm, spent a few days in Paris and went on to the UK.  Start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr slideshow